Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tuesday...2 days before Turkey Day




So what kind of plan do you have in place for this holiday? Are you gonna chuck it all and pig out, or are you gonna take it easy? I plan to eat right....Turkey, salad, broccoli, and one piece of pumpkin pie. It will be hard, but I'm doin' it!

I had a dream last night. It kind of surprised me. In this dream I saw myself at my goal and preparing to lift the heaviest weight I've ever lifted. When I got up this morning, I felt motivated and so ready to hit the iron. I've heard about visualization, affirmations, and the like, but I always kind of thought it was a bunch of crapola. Just a marketing gimmick. I'm beginning to see that maybe this is what has been holding me back. My mind and body are finally in-sync with each other. This is the first time that I really FEEL that I'm gonna make it.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning for San Diego. Won't be back until Tuesday. I'm taking my bands with me so I can work out while I'm there. I'm hoping that you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving and if you feel like it, drop my Son David an email. I'm sure he'll be lonely in Afghanistan without the family and friends. These men give up so much for our country. dmcopetillo@aol.com

Here are some tips that Carlos sent me after I told him about my dream. These are really good.


Focus Tips:

Write Down your desired End Result. It's a fact: writing down your End Result (Ultimate Goal) gives you a higher chance of success.

Read them out loud to yourself every day. This can be your declaration and confirmation of your end result, dream, goal, desires. Read out loud the process, the specific plan that you will be involved in daily so that the end result will overtake you!

Commit. Move beyond the land of "good ideas" and determine to take specific actions to achieve your end result. Consider signing a personal letter of commitment to yourself.

Tell People. Let your biggest fans in on your new commitments and goals for the year. (Maybe the Shredders)

Get Accountability. Even better than just letting others in on your "secret" dreams and goals—get some accountability. Meet for lunch once a month with a group that will ask you, "So, are you on task with the daily process to achieve your End Result?" Hire a Life Coach. Talk to your best friend. Get some support!

Make a Plan. Ensure success with a step-by-step specific plan. Work backwards by starting with the end vision of where you want to be and working backwards to where you are today. You'll find an easy plan to make your goal a reality.

Do an End Result Check-In. Before you decide on what you'll take on, make certain you can answer, "YES!" to the following questions: "Am I the primary reason for setting this End Result (vs. your mom, boyfriend, wife, boss, society)? Do I feel alive and energized by this? Is it in line with my life purpose or mission?"

Get Real! If this End Result is something that you have consistently never achieved, take a second look. What will be DIFFERENT this time? Or do you need to just let it go? What purpose is it serving you? What's a good enough reason to finally achieve this End Result?

Focus With Reminders. Once you've got your End Result and specific plan in place, figure out ways to remind yourself. Ideas: post your End Result in the bathroom or your car. Put reminders in your palm pilot, blackberry or cell phone. Figure out what works for you.

Believe and Visualize. Do you know the story about the group of basketball players who spent one hour visualizing making baskets, while another group actually practiced? The visualizing players had better seasons! So visualize yourself successfully achieving your End Result in the time period you have set. What would that look like? How would it feel? Visualize once a day and see the difference it can make.

To go where you have not gone before, to accomplish what you have not accomplished before, requires that you sacrifice more and do things differently than you've ever done them before.

– Carlos DeJesus, 1985 Natural For Life World Bodybuilding Champion

2 comments:

Jason said...

That is some excellent advice Carlos gave you. Thanks for passing it on to the rest of us! Shred on!

Katschi said...

Thanks for posting Carlo's list of pointers. I'll be pasting these for reference.