Thursday, July 24, 2008

Can you be BORN a couch potato?
























Can You Be Born A Couch Potato? Genetic Influence

Found In Active And Sedentary Behavior Of Mice

ScienceDaily (July 17, 2008) — The key to good health is to be physically active. The key to being active is… to be born that way?

The well-documented importance of exercise in maintaining fitness has created the idea that individuals can manage their health by increasing their activity. But what if the inclination to engage in physical activity is itself significantly affected by factors that are predetermined? Two new studies suggest that the inclination to exercise may be strongly affected by genetics.

Controlled experiments into the effects of genetics on human activity have yet to be attempted, but recent studies on mice — the standard test species for mammalian genetics — have found genetic influences.

In a paper recently published in the journal Physiological Genomics, a team of researchers led by University of North Carolina at Charlotte kinesiologist J. Timothy Lightfoot announced that they had found six specific chromosomal locations that significantly correlate to the inheritance of a trait of high physical activity in mice, indicating that at least six genetic locations were affecting activity. Now, in a study forthcoming in The Journal of Heredity, the same team has identified 17 other genetic locations that also appear to control the level of physical activity in mice through interaction with each other, a genetic effect known as epistasis. Together, the located genes account for approximately 84% of the behavioral differences between mice that exhibit low activity levels and mice that show high activity traits.

“Can you be born a couch potato? In exercise physiology, we didn’t used to think so, but now I would say most definitely you can,” said Lightfoot.

read the rest here


I've read this article, and I'd like to hear what you have to say about it. I have STRONG leanings toward couch potato-dom. I think you have to use your own power, determination, will, whatever....to get your butt off the couch. I would much rather cuddle on the couch with a bowl of chili and a good book. I have a really bad habit of coming home from work and just throwing down on the couch with my hubbie. THAT's the only good part--Mikey--we're still kinda newlyweds (4 years...can I hear an AWWWWWW.....) I was telling him last night that I was sick and tired of TV, our laziness, and just doing nothing after 6:30 in the evening. I have a little craft business that needs some new inventory--I need to get off my a.. and git 'er done. I have also decided that I'm going to do my intervals in the evening after work. That will give a workout in the morning and one in the evening. Hopefully that will counteract the sedentary job I have. My diet this week has been spot-on...I am happy about that. I missed my workout yesterday, but did it this morning, and just shifted my day off by one day. No worries.

I just thought I would give you something to think about today. Leave your comments--all you lurkers--find your voice! I would love to hear from you!

6 comments:

juli gets happy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
juli gets happy said...

Hey Shari,

I like your today's post a lot...look at the title of my mission at the moment, ;-).

I think it is a mixture of commitment, wanting it badly enough, get going, perserverance, act-now-attitude and getting over the "it is so nice on the couch-just 5 minutes"-voice in your head.

Simply: Don't talk about it, just do it.

Thank you for today's post,

Juli

Larry said...

Shari,
I have found that doing my intervals after work gives me a boost of energy during the evening as they create an afterburn. The key is to come home, change and go right out - don't stop to do anything that can derail your intentions. Been there - done that - don't want to do it again. :)

Margaret2007 said...

For me...what I eat dictates how much energy I have! If I am eating junk, I have all I can do to move around from a chair to the couch..Honestly, I feel as if I've taken a downer!

When I am nourishing my body with healthy food for fuel, I am like a rocket with places to go, people to see, things to do, dragons to conquer!

It's up to me as to how I want to feel today! Worthless...or worthwhile!

Good topic of conversation Shari!

Marbella said...

Loved that ole blog again. I vote for bornagain couch taters for sure. So much better to crash and read, BUT, we don´t do that now. Wish you were get into the NIKE+ challenge with us...you could help us beat the men if that´s what´s coming down the pike. Would love to walk there with you.
Lynda

CeeKaye said...

Hi! How interesting your post is! Thanks for it...I'd say this is a great thread to keep on in your posts. Are you goign to maybe do some more research on this?

IMHO - it has to do with our history as cave[wo]men. Yup - we used to have to go find food; and when we did we ate it and then had to look for more. so, nowadays, with food available at every turn, we no longer have to do the work. Our bodies have not changed along with increasing ease of getting food. So it's a form of self-sabotage, brought on by industrial and techinical evolution.

=)