Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Sad Story....



I left work at 5:00 last night. I have a very leisurely one hour drive home to the Northland. I was headed down Williamson Valley Road just in la-la land. Not sure where I was...but I wasn't driving! All of a sudden I looked in my side mirror and saw someone right on my tail! The F-er! How dare he ride my ass like that! Then I came to! It was a cop! He had his lights and siren on trying to get me to move over! DUH... My heart about beat out of my chest--he scared me so. Okay, I'm calmed down. I'm a little more than half way home. All of a sudden I see people flashing their lights at me..WTF...I'm not speeding. Then an ambulance drives by heading south. About another mile, I see a fire truck heading south. Ohhhh....I get it...they were flashing because there was an accident ahead. I'm thinking that because the ambulance and fire truck are heading south, it's all cleared up. I call my hubbie (the firefighter) to see if he's heard about an accident at Hell's Canyon. Nope, nothing. Just as I'm ready to hang up, I crest a hill and below me on the bridge is chaos! I am two cars from the accident. A head-on collision in the middle of the bridge. After about 1/2 an hour the fire chief drives by telling everyone in line that it will be at least a 3 hour wait. Holy Crap! There is nowhere to go, no other way home. I am 15 minutes from home. Pretty soon people are out of their cars walking down to see the accident. Morbid curiosity. I've seen enough of my share of accidents and have no desire to lookey-lou.

We are all sitting on the highway..talking to each other. There are many people from Ash Fork in line--we're all just trying to get home after work. As people walk by we get snippets of news--head-on collision between a Dodge truck and a small sports car. There's been a fatality. We're waiting for the Coroner, Investigators, and Tow Trucks. The area has been cordoned off and traffic is piling up both ways.

The guy in the Semi Truck behind me gets out and we begin a 3 hour conversation. He said he saw that I was alone, and wanted to be sure I was safe. Did I need any water? What a nice guy! I found out that he served in the military as an MP. He was explaining the accident protocol to me. We talked about his service, my kids, his kids. He lives in San Antonio, his daughter works at IBM, he's a published author--he is writing a series of books about a young woman who follows her father into the military... Military Romance Book! He actually got on my phone and talked to my hubbie for awhile. Another kid on the motorcycle behind me, hung out with us. He was from Ash Fork, 20 years old, coming home from work--he's a roofer. He said he was a little afraid to drive home...there were so many people and they would start passing to get around the accident and get out of slow traffic. I told him to drive in front of me, I'd watch him all the way home. I did, and when he turned off, he waved to me. It felt good to "take care" of this young man.

Finally the tow trucks made it. It took another hour for them to clear the bridge. The tow truck parked right in front of me for a minute--the big Dodge was badly wounded, but didn't look like the occupants would have been hurt very badly--I read in the paper that he was taken to the hospital by ambulance. The little car that hit him...well....let's pray for the driver. The car looked like a pile of shredded fiberglass. I didn't see any seats, or a motor, or doors, or anything that remotely resembled a car. They said the driver was in pieces, they had to cut him out. The Coroner showed up with a gurney and took him away. When I saw the cars, I was shocked. I kept thinking...how sad. The driver's family probably doesn't even know yet about the accident. But I knew. I prayed for them all.

I finally made it home around 10:00 pm. My hubbie was asleep on the couch. It was so good to be home.

7 comments:

CeeKaye said...

Wow Shari...that's one of those moments we just won't forget in our lives...

Glad you got home safely.

Shari Kraft said...

Yeah...I just can't get it out of my mind. The sad thing is that I'll have forgotten it in a few days.

Debbie said...

So sorry to hear the bad news, Shari, and glad you made it home safe.

Buffedstuff said...

Thankful that you are safe and sound.

Marbella said...

Your account of that accident made me feel like I was there with you. Such good writing and such a sad story. Life is fleeting, and pray that the dear person in the sports car is now safe wherever he is. Was proud that the MP was from Texas...you just have to love TEXAS people! Take care Shari. Danger is always most the closer you get to home.
Lynd

Shari Kraft said...

It's funny....everywhere I go, I bump into Texas people. Some of the best people I know!

Jamie said...

This was such a sad story Shari...but I'm glad that you and your "buddies" made it home ok. Have a great weekend!