Thursday, June 19, 2008

Day 54 P90X



Rodeo state of mind.... It's not hump day, but isn't he a cutie?! Rodeo's a comin'! Two more weeks! Yeehaw!


“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.“ Samuel Butler

I love this quote! I have DEFINITELY found 10,000 ways that won't work in my fitness journey! I haven't given up! I just tweak as I go. Doing P90X has been eye opening. I have gained some muscle, lost a little bit of fat--not much, I have gained strength. That is the most important thing to me. Strength. Before I started the X I could do 8 pushups on my knees. That was it! Last week I did 5 regular pushups and about 10 more on my knees. I think that's pretty good! Especially for an old lady like me!

Speaking of which....We were discussing how we should act "for our age" on Dougal's blog yesterday. Dougal was hurt very badly while surfing. There have been some comments to the effect of "What were you doing surfing at your age!" Can you believe that! Look around at your family and friends that are in the 50 & up age bracket. What kind of shape are they in? How have they taken care of themselves? What kind of jobs do they have? How many of them do any kind of activity? Why in heaven's name would you want to limit yourself? I am trying to get into shape so that I can actually DO THINGS in my old age! Things like: opening a jar, walking up stairs, touching my toes, gardening, riding a bike. These are functional things that a lot of people can't do. I don't want to be a burden to my family and end up in a wheel chair--fraile and fragile. That is just plain selfish. Just because you are 50 why should you stop surfing, running, skydiving, or snorkeling?? Fit people have Fit lives. I want to live my life to the fullest. I'm sure Dougal would tell you the same. Do you think that just because he broke his neck that he's not going to surf again? He's a fit guy. No reason to sideline himself. Read his blog, you'll be inspired.

My blog buddy Lynda is learning a valuable lesson--She has learned that she needs to weight train and stop restricting her calories unrealistically. I am so proud that she's pumping iron! Women really need to do this. Osteoporosis is one reason. Functional strength is another. I'd say Lynda is my age. A lot of women in the 50 age group don't realize that they need to lift weights. There have been several studies on the effects of resistance training and aging. As young girls we (baby boomer group) were told to stay out of the weight room, "girls don't do that". Have you ever really looked at "Old Hollywood" glam photos of the 40's thru 60's? These women may have been "thin" but they were skinny fat! No muscles, kinda soft looking. Marilyn Monroe is a great example of this. I much prefer the "fitness girl" look you find in Oxygen or Fit RX. I may never look like that, but I'm going to give it a go, and be the best ME I can be.

5 comments:

CeeKaye said...

Wow... makes me wanna go to the rodeo! LoL

Glad to see you still shredding like a mad woman!

Mike Groom said...

Nice post Shari, a great read!

Michael said...

Shari, very nice post. You nailed it about women and weight training. Most ladies shy away from the heavy weights and the reality is that they should be pushing themselves just as hard as a man does. Again, awesome post!

Shari Kraft said...

Thanks guys! It's funny sometimes, I don't have a THING to say and then an idea sparks and I get tons of stuff to say!

Marbella said...

Hey Shari,
I just today read your blog and thanks for the shout out about those weights. You are so right. We should and will do weights and baby, we´ll roll one of these days. Tomorrow am getting back on track again (those 10,000 ways not to do things was priceless). This time will do even better.
Hugs,
Lynda